But it is gratifying to hear the doctor say he was so strong, to hear people say he's so friendly, or so cute. It's secretly soothing to hear that other babies can't eat as well as him, or pick up small objects like he can.
But a baby 2 days older than Ethan is practically crawling, and he is just finally rolling over consistently. (He's been able to roll over for months, he just hasn't bothered -- ah, see how I try to make it sound better?) And a baby 7 weeks older than Ethan has been saying words for a couple months now, and all Ethan does is say "aaaahhhh" and the occasional consonant. I KNOW there's nothing wrong with him and that he's just developing at his own pace, but it's still hard to let go of my pride and realize that my kid isn't going to be the first, or the best, or the strongest, or the smartest.
I guess it's a good lesson to learn now. I suppose it's better to learn to let him be himself NOW, rather than learning that lesson when he's a teenager, rebelling against my expectations.
Is it just me though, or is this something you never think could affect you...until you have kids? I was talking to a childless friend of mine the other day, who reminded me that yes, it is stupid to compare your child with other children. But I realized I wasn't doing it on purpose - it almost comes as naturally as comparing my hair or body to someone else's! It feels like a dirty little secret, comparing my baby against other babies, feeling oddly gratified or jealous, as the case may be.
Obviously I need to let it go. As we've been teaching the kids in Sunday School, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, PEACE, PATIENCE, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control. Good thing God has plenty of peace and patience in his storehouse, because I'm going to need a truckload of it...both for Ethan and myself!

3 comments:
He can't be the strongest at everything, but Ethan is a really cool kid! I was seriously so impressed with how relaxed he was with me when I looked after him.
I get you about how hard it is not to compare, especially when you're around a baby so close in age! Sometimes it's hard to choke out the "that's great!" about another kid! I'm sure the parents of those other babies are envious of how good of an eater Ethan is, how calm he is, and how many teeth he has.
lol, good point Heidi :) I really love the guy, and I need to just focus on that!
That was really an honest post Christie. Honestly I never really compared my kids achievments but I REALLY compared myself to other mothers and how I was as a mom, still do. :( If this helps Evan did NOT walk until he was a year and a half. The other one mothers always seem to compare is toilet training and in my mind that is silly it just happens when the kid is ready.
Post a Comment