So a couple weeks ago, Ethan was deciding not to nap. When he does that, he lays down in front of his door and alternately whines and chatters. Usually I plunk him back in bed until he finally conks, but this time I was too tired and was busy with Oliver, so I just left him. Suddenly, the sounds in the monitor sounded...different. I wandered upstairs to find Ethan at the top of the stairs, holding the iPod (which was in Oliver's room), and wearing the biggest grin ever. His only comment? "I get out!"
Then, at 11 pm, Jon had just fallen asleep when suddenly a little shadow appeared at his side. The shadow plunked a book on his belly and said "read this book!" Needless to say he got ushered straight back to bed. Then again at 5:30 am, he was in our room. Now, we might have more patience with this and be willing to teach him the appropriate time to leave his room, had we not also been dealing with a 4-week old baby! So we rushed out that day to get those fabulous doorknob covers. Good thing too, because it turns out he's also discovered how to unlock and walk out the front and back doors.
So we nipped that in the bud, but we had a little addendum to the story a couple nights later. We were at the home of some friends, and we put Ethan down in a playpen for bed, since we hoped to stay for a while yet. As we're sitting outside, I suddenly saw this small child walking towards me. I had to blink a few times before I realized that it was Ethan! He had gotten out of the playpen and through 3 doors! Yet again, he approached with a big grin and the phrase "I get out!"
Turkey.

1 comment:
His ex-jail warden grandfather hasn't been teaching him tricks of the trade at all... none whatsoever... can't imagine it. Oy!
Post a Comment