Tuesday, April 18

headspace

I learned yesterday that Canadians have a very distinctive "bubble" - well, I knew that already, but I never thought about it much. The people in Mexico were very much more touchy, which was fine with me. But coming from Pepe, it sounded different. When someone is in a store looking at magazines and you want the one in front of them, you excuse yourself before taking it. In Latin America, you'd just grab it.
I wonder if that physical bubble extends into sort of a mental bubble as well...Take praying for example. When we pray in Canada, we all take turns. We go around the circle and we teach kids that praying in a group means being quiet while someone else is praying. But in Mexico, everyone prayed at the same time. I found it very refreshing, because no one was really listening to the prayers of others, which makes sense because we're not talking to each other, we're talking to God. It was like no one had their own little bubble of time to pray, because we could all do so at the same time. Everyone's prayers just kinda meshed.
Ugh, I think this makes no sense. It's time for sleep.

4 comments:

Laughter said...

I like that :-)


(thanks for your comment, btw)

Kate said...

Cool way to put that! Also found this to be true in the Middle East. Too a bit to get used to, but the I started to just deal with it. The worst part was running into people on the sidewalk. If two people meet on a sidewalk in America they give each other a wide berth. In the Middle East even if you are the only two, with PLENTY of space they will still pass so close that they brush against you.

When I got back to the States I forgot and ran into someone in a department store (with plenty of room). They looked at me like I had three heads or something!
Sigh. Cultural reajustment is hard.

Okay, that was a long comment. Let's make it longer!! :-)
I liked their concept of prayer as well, though I like to be able to hear people pray so I can back them up.

Anyway, intersting post

(This is Laughter's talkative sister)

kelle said...

Well put...I like that :)

Christie said...

Thanks! I'm glad my night-time ramblings make sense to some people :)